Wednesday 26 October 2016

Born in Rico’s Trombone

Born in Rico’s Trombone
I was born in Rico 's trombone, a raw note, 
bold with vibrato, 
with a message for rude boys. 
I was shaped by his breath 
and disciplined with melody. 
I travelled light in his trombone case, from
Kingston Jamaica across the world 
on an offbeat journey.

I, a mere note in his notoriety, 
feeling his passion, 
obeying his precision, 
lighting up with his inspiration. 
I was blown, headlong into Prince Buster 's Rocksteady ear, 
as he hit the beat 
in the studio heat. 
I was noted in a jam with Jeremy Dammers , 
I split the atom for the Special AKA ,
where Two Tones are better than one. 
I was a note in Rico's trombone 
bold with rasping melody, 
strung out and staccato, 
vamping on the dance floor, 
headstrong and moving, 
captured on vinyl, 
a musical particle of the legendary article. 
I was born in Rico's trombone!

poem by Trev Teasdel








No comments:

Post a Comment